This weeks blog is about exterior renovations and maintenance of your home. Depending upon the area you live in, that being Florida where our temperatures dip to a low of 55 degrees at night or up north like Maryland where it dips down to the 30’s, this blog will inform you why now is important to take care of those projects on the exterior.
So, lets begin. No matter where you live we are all experiencing some season change of temperatures. Maybe the heat is used to warm up the home in early morning or windows are being open more because of cooler temperatures. But technically Autumn is the ultimate time to do the exterior maintenance projects and renovations.
For example, a lot of us will have debris in the gutters. This is the time to clean the gutters and maybe you have budgeted the cost for gutter covers. Perhaps you notice the moss on the home and need to get that power-washed and from there have the deteriorated trim boards replaced and some exterior painting completed as well. But my favorite is the soffit and fascia boards.
Cleaning, painting or replacing the soffit and fascia boards are the most protective investment you could do this time of the year to not only enhance your home for beauty but to add value and reduce maintenance in the long range protective. Now you maybe asking, OK replacing fascia boards are expensive. No they are not and they can be maintenance free.
Fascia boards can be a vinyl product. Using vinyl product this reduces maintenance and adds beauty to the home. Quality carpenter contractors will recommend this product anywhere we live. It can be cleaned yearly and at the same time if you decide to paint it or en-cap it does not rot, or deteriorate. Homes in the north and south can benefit from this. As I am a licensed contractor in 4 states from PA, MD, VA, and FL, every-time I have said we can use a vinyl product and is easy to maintenance free product, clients have never second guessed me.
Now you may ask great, what about other projects on the exterior. Well lets talk about windows. All windows will collect debris. Think about it. The balances have grease and grease will be a magent to collect dust and debris. The tracks and the bottom of the sills need to be cleaned. The screens should be washed twice a year to rid of pollen, bugs and bring back the color of the frame.
And lastly the landscaping. While landscaping is not a favorite issue of mine. I will tell you sometimes its best to have one on your speed dial. Here is why. Mulch after years of load on top of load needs to be removed eventually. Some mulch can bring pests into the home and mulch was originally a wood product. Additionally, you can have the landscaper to that odd edging you didn’t want to do to give that curb appeal and they may even through in a bonus lawn cut of the grass.
Below is a small check list of things to start thinking about for your Autumn Maintenance For Your Home. If you have any questions anytime, send us and email or call anytime. Email: email@example.com or 352-437-5300
Fall Home Maintenance
In fall, prepare your home and yard for cooler temperatures, falling leaves and more hours spent indoors.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Inspect roof and chimney for cracks and damage.
- Rake leaves and shred to use as mulch or dispose of them based on local guidelines.
- Close or install storm windows.
- Remove hoses from spigots and drain and store indoors, coiled and flat.
- Store outdoor furniture and cushions.
- Test snow blower and have it professionally serviced if necessary.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when you set clocks back in the fall. See our carbon monoxide detector buying guide.
- Check windows and doors for weather-tightness and install weather stripping where it’s needed.
- Have furnace professionally inspected.
- If needed, set traps for rodents.
- Dust blinds and vacuum curtains throughout your house.
- Clean kitchen and bathroom cabinets and throw away outdated food, medicine and cosmetics